IPP Mail Archive: IPP> RE: IIG client-error-natural-language

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 23:17:31 EDT

    Gail,

    This is a bug in the IIG, RFC 3196. There is no
    'client-error-natural-language-not-supported', since the Printer MUST accept
    any natural language in a request, whether it supports that natural language
    or not.

    RFC 2911 section 3.1.4.1, says:

    The IPP object MUST accept any natural language and any Natural Language
    Override, whether the IPP object supports that natural language or not (and
    independent of the value of the "ipp-attribute-fidelity" Operation
    attribute). That is the IPP object accepts all client supplied values no
    matter what the values are in the Printer object's
    "generated-natural-language-supported" attribute. That attribute,
    "generated-natural-language-supported", only applies to generated messages,
    not client supplied messages. The IPP object MUST remember that natural
    language for all client-supplied attributes, and when returning those
    attributes in response to a query, the IPP object MUST indicate that natural
    language.

    So the two references to client-error-natural-language-not-supported in RFC
    2911 should be deleted. I'll post an addendum to RFC 2911, using the
    regular IETF procedures for addendum.

    FYI, to find RFC Errata, go to:

    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html

    and click on the RFC Errata button on the top line.

    BTW, I submitted a minor errata on RFC2911 on July 17, and it hasn't been
    posted yet. I don't know why. See the IPP mailing list which I copied.

    Tom