IPP Mail Archive: IPP> RE: Status of all 32 IPP specificatio

From: Carl (carl@manros.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 10:17:04 EST

    Ned,

    In your message to the IPP Editor Tom Hastings, you wrote:

    Subject: Re: IPP> Status of all 32 IPP specifications down loaded,
    updated with cur rent status

    > I've gone to the new ID Tracker which track the status of all documents.
    > Some of the IPP document status was updated on 1/17/2003. The ID Tracker
    is
    > available at:

    > https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi Search with "WG
    > Acronym" = 'IPP'.

    In particular, the fate of the various notification mechanisms besides
    IPPGET needs to be decided. I'd recommend either publication as experimental
    or dropping them, but it is the WG's call.

    ------

    As I have written to you earlier, the IPP WG has reached consensus to drop
    the following documents from the
    IETF standards track as you queried:

    draft-ietf-ipp-indp-method (Proposed Standard) 06 Freed, Ned 2001-12-20
    2002-03-20

    draft-ietf-ipp-install (Proposed Standard) 04 Freed, Ned 2002-04-18
    2002-05-02

    draft-ietf-ipp-notify-mailto (Request) 04 Freed, Ned 2002-03-21

    Some background information:
    Although some implementations of these features have actually been done,
    these implementations are lacking the required security features to qualify
    for use in the Internet environment, and the vendors seem to be happy with
    limiting any product use to LANs and Intranets behind firewalls, where the
    need for security is less stringent. Hence, with no planned implementations
    that would fully meet the requirements in the intended Proposed Standards,
    it's been decided to drop them as IETF work items at this stage.

    Carl-Uno Manros,
    Chair IPP WG

    10701 S Eastern Ave #1117
    Henderson, NV 89052, USA