IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> 4 significant proposed increases

Re: IPP> 4 significant proposed increases in conforman ce requirem ents for the IPP Document object spec

From: Mike Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 17:18:24 EDT

    McDonald, Ira wrote:
    > Is there any practical reason why PSI can't just require stricter
    > requirements than the basic IPP mapping? It seems idiotic to
    > require print-by-reference for IPP whose goals are different than
    > PSI.
    >

    > <ira> _my_ goal is full-bandwidth application gateways between
    > IPP and PSI. Everywhere that IPP doesn't have a feature at all
    > (the out-of-band push in PSI's AddDocumentByPush) or has made a
    > feature optional (PSI's AddDocumentByReference), the gateway will
    > fail entirely.
    >
    > Note, PSI _is_ sending (over a TLS-secured channel) whatever
    > username and password or certificate necessary to do the SMTP,
    > IMAP, HTTPS, or whatever connection for the AddDocumentByReference,
    > from the client embedded in the PSI Print Service or Target Device.

    I will repeat this if it wasn't obvious from my example - passing
    authentication info does not solve the print-by-reference problem.
    Cookies, host-based access control, and other implementation-
    specific issues on the remote server end are not handled, and that
    means that print-by-reference stops working.

    While I understand that we cannot guarantee that every URI using
    a supported scheme can be printed, I do not see the point of
    requiring print-by-reference when we *know* that many common use
    cases will fail.

    > If this is security nightmare for IPP, then the same applies to
    > PSI - why is it so hard if the Print Service simply impersonates
    > the end user? (I know this can't work if the end user's TLS

    Because the print service cannot always impersonate the end-user.

    > <ira> Well, print by reference is the main design center of PSI, so
    > if it will hurt adoption of IPP Document objects, then it will
    > equally hurt PSI adoption. Do you think PSI is in trouble??
    > </ira>

    I personally never saw the point of PSI, even for things like web
    pads. XHTML-Print + IPP is enough to support printing of web pages
    directly without print-by-reference (client can send a copy of the
    web page and images, which it already has in memory...), and PDF
    and other common web formats are well supported the same way.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com