IPP Mail Archive: IPP> RE: SM> 1 more significant propose

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 03:04:20 EDT

  • Next message: Hastings, Tom N: "RE: SM> Re: IPP> 4 significant proposed increases in conformance requirements for the IPP Document object spec [why PDL-override]"

    Dennis wrote:

    > I'm a bit confused: I had the (apparently flawed) impression that the plan
    > was to deprecate, for a client, using the "last-document" operation
    > attribute entirely--that is, say the "correct" way to say a job was done
    > was to do Close-Job.

    I could have gotten the notes wrong here, but I had scribbled the comment
    under the Send-URI where it discussed the empty Send-Document operation to
    close a job.

    I see no objection to a client saving a trip and closing the job on the
    Send-Document or Send-URI operation when sending actual data with the
    "last-document" = 'true'.

    So I think we should keep "last-document" operation for all of the following
    reasons:

    1. We need a "last-document" Document Description attribute for the Document
    object anyway for querying, so that the client knows when its gotten to the
    last Document.

    2. Being able to submit data and "last-document" = 'true" saves a round trip
    when creating a multiple document job.

    3. The current [rfc2911] REQUIRED behaviour is the client MUST always supply
    the "last-document" with a 'false' or a 'true' value in Send-Document and
    Send-URI; the client MUST NOT omit the "last-document', so we'd be
    deprecating something that we REQUIRE the client to supply.

    4. The current [RFC2911] requirement for the Printer is:
    "If the Printer supports this [Send-Document] operation but does not support
    multiple documents per job, the Printer MUST reject subsequent Send-Document
    operations supplied with data and return the
    'server-error-multiple-document-jobs-not-supported'. However, the Printer
    MUST accept the first document with a 'true' or 'false' value for the
    "last-document" operation attribute (see below), so that clients MAY always
    submit one document jobs with a 'false' value for "last-document" in the
    first Send-Document and a 'true' for "last-document" in the second
    Send-Document (with no data)."

    5. If the client fails to close the job one way or another without the
    timeout period, the Printer MUST perform an action to abort, hold, or
    process the job, depending on policy. So Jobs aren't always cleanly closed
    by the client anyway (using a separate Close-Job operation).

    6. The client supplying "last-document" as an Operation attirbute which the
    Printer copies to the "last-document" Document Description attribute aligns
    better with the PWG Semantic Model where LastDocument is a Document
    Description Element, since in the PWG SM the client is able to supply _any_
    Document Description attribute which the Printer copies to the Document
    object.

    7. In summary, the current [RFC2911] "last-document" operation attributes
    semantics isn't broken (just unethetic to some), so lets not fix it.

    Tom

    P.S. I'm only replying to the IPP DL as requested by some members.