IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Document Object Spec Comments...

Re: IPP> Document Object Spec Comments... [for Thur 5/15]

From: Mike Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 21:25:34 EDT

    McDonald, Ira wrote:
    > So, could you possibly explain a little more your various
    > comments below by email? And (if you can) join the SM
    > telecon in two weeks?

    I don't know if I'll be able to, but if I am free I will call in.

    > [I don't understand how you can map Create-Document
    > to Validate-Job. Could you explain, please?]

    The spec mentions using Create-Document to validate the format and
    attributes of a document prior to submission, which is exactly what
    Validate-Job does. While Validate-Job won't reserve a slot for a
    document like Create-Document, I see that particular feature of the
    Create-Document object as the biggest potential security hole in
    the spec with very little benefit. Realistically speaking, if a
    document format and specific job template attributes are acceptable
    at one time, then they will be acceptable all the time for that
    printer object.

    If the Create-Document semantics are absolutely required (I don't
    see that, but if so the spec should include the justification/reason
    for it), then I highly recommend that we either place a limit of 1
    outstanding document per job or add a new status code ("server-
    error-too-many-documents"?) so that the server can enforce limits to
    avoid Denial-of-Service cases.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com