IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> FW: Copyright statements in drafts

RE: IPP> FW: Copyright statements in drafts

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 23:03:54 EDT

    Doubt I'll have a problem (because I'm not aware of any related IP in this
    case)... but, of course, need to check with lawyers. What is the context
    and timeframe of the part that says I will disclose any related IP I
    BECOME aware of. What.. in 20 years if I become aware I have to disclose?
    Doesn't seem well enough defined. I would have to assume the statement is
    limited to the timeframe in which the RFC is being authored, edited,
    reviewed etc... not AFTER it has been issued.
    Harry Lewis
    IBM STSM
    http://www.pwg.org
    IBM Printing Systems
    http://www.ibm.com/printers
    303-924-5337

    "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
    07/12/2004 02:54 PM

    Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS, don@lexmark.com, "'Hastings, Tom N'"
    <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>
    cc
    "'carl@manros.com'" <carl@manros.com>, "McDonald, Ira"
    <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>, "Ipp@Pwg. Org" <ipp@pwg.org>
    Subject
    RE: IPP> FW: Copyright statements in drafts

    Hi Harry and Tom,

    To take this out of the speculative realm, let's get specific.

    In order to get out the final I-D version of IPP Admin Ops,
    Tom Hastings (Xerox) and Harry Lewis and Carl Kugler
    (both of IBM) are going to have to put their names and
    their companies names to that exact statement (which
    only has the "reasonably" qualification in the referenced
    RFC 3668,but NOT in the actual statement).

    Do you Harry plan to sign as co-editor of the new I-D
    whose first sentence MUST be exactly

       By submitting this Internet-Draft, I certify that any applicable
       patent or other IPR claims of which I am aware have been disclosed,
       or will be disclosed, and any of which I become aware will be
       disclosed, in accordance with RFC 3668.

    I will be pleasantly surprised if at least Xerox's lawyers
    don't balk at this text.

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434