IPP Mail Archive: IPP> RE: PWG> Media Surface characteris

IPP> RE: PWG> Media Surface characteristics

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 11:46:43 EST

    Hi,

    Recopied IPP WG list, because:
        postings from non-subscribers
    (b) The element in question _is_ in fact normatively defined by an IPP spec
        (see below).

    As I told Harry Lewis earlier this morning, the ultimate source of the
    media-coating attribute is CIP4's JDF/1.0 spec (they distinguish between
    'front-coating' and 'back-coating' and they now have a longer list of
    enumerated surface types).

    The FSG/OpenPrinting Job Ticket API/1.0 (now in 'last call') also supports
    both 'front-coating' and 'back-coating' elements in abstract job tickets.

    The proper normative reference for this element is IEEE/ISTO PWG 5100.3.

    The PWG Semantic Model does NOT define any element, just collates them
    into a dictionary and represents them in XML Schema. The PWG SM always
    imports the semantics of each element fromn a cited source specification
    (IETF, PWG, etc.).

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434