From: Ira McDonald (blueroofmusic@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2008 - 13:33:13 EDT

    Hi,

    Per our discussion at yesterday's IPP WG telecon,
    I looked up these two operations, just now:

    Restart-Job - section 3.3.7 in RFC 2911
    - MUST not change job-id - eek!
    - moves job from completed state to pending
      or pending-held - violates state diagram
    - BAD idea for accounting and security

    Reprocess-Job - section 4.1 of RFC 3998
    - MUST copy job attributes and create new Job
      with new job-id (returned in response)
    - fixes the awful Restart-Job bugs

    But, as we discussed yesterday, Reprocess-Job
    means that the system (spooler or printer) must
    keep all job attributes AND all job data for the
    entire job history duration - costly and dubious.

    Conclusions:

    (1) We really should DEPRECATE Restart-Job
         in IPP/2.x Profiles and explain the rationale.

    (2) Reprocess-Job is technically OK, but costly.
         Should remain OPTIONAL, even for IPP/2.2
         (Production Printing).

    Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
    email: blueroofmusic@gmail.com
    winter: