From: nchen@okidata.com
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 17:22:34 EST

    All,

    So far I have only received Bill Wagner's comments on the Resource Service
    Spec :ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-mfdresourcemodel10-20090115.pdf.

    Bill's comments are all very good. Here is my proposed resolutions to the
    comments:

    Please review and let's decide our consensus in tomorrow's teleconference.
    Some of the comments are about service states and state transitions. Ira
    is the expert in this area, hope he will attend tomorrow's teleconference
    and give us his expert recommendation.

    Thanks for your participation.

    -Nancy

    "William A Wagner" <wamwagner@comcast.net>
    01/27/2009 03:42 PM

    <nchen@okidata.com>, <mfd@pwg.org>, <owner-mfd@pwg.org>
    cc

    Subject
    RE: MFD> MFD Teleconference, Thursday 1/29 3:00 EDT

    All,

    Some comments and questions.

    1. It is common usage that a Job is submitted to the Service. This
    is
    in Abstract to the Resource Service and at various places in the text. I
    have used the expression extensively in working on the General document.
    But
    in the model that is being defined, the user/client submits a CreateJob
    request, and perhaps he submits a document, but the Service creates the
    job.
    At least that is my understanding. Since this aspect of the model is
    different from common usage, I suggest we avoid the terminology of
    "submitting a job" in that it would reinforce a concept contrary to the
    Model.

    2. I have trouble with saying that the Resource Service is accepting
    Jobs (para 6.5.10.2.1 et al). From my understanding of the overall model,
    it
    does not accept, create or deal with jobs. It accepts and provides
    information about accepted resources to a user/client. It provides
    resources
    to other Services. Should this be "is accepting and supplying resources"

    3. If we agree in general that paths to and from Testing are
    implementation dependent, I suggest that the "test" operation be removed
    and
    perhaps that the Testing state be removed from 6.5.10.2.1 and 6.5.10.2.2

    4. The sole purpose is to provide resources to other services. Yet
    are we considering the Resource Service to be completely independent and
    separate from the Job Processing services?

    a. Are the basic service operations described in Section 7.1 the
    inter-service operations as well setup and configuration operations with a
    Client/User?

    b. Is there but one access path, so that in the Idle State, it is
    handling neither client or Service requests? And in the Processing state,
    it
    is handling requests from a either client or another Service?

    c. When it is Down and offline with respect to clients, is it also
    offline with respect to responding to other services, perhaps in the same
    device?

    5. SetResourceElements (7.1.11) and all of the Administrative
    Resource Service Operations (7.2) are not indicated as Required or
    Optional.

    6. In the compliance section (8), requirements are placed on clients
    and Resource Service. If the operations listed also apply to the
    supported
    Services, are these Services also Resource Service clients? If so, I
    suggest
    that it is not reasonable to require them to support all of the "required"
    operations.

    Thanks,

    Bill Wagner