P1394 Mail Archive: P1394> PWG-C Meeting Minute 3/10 in JAPAN

P1394> PWG-C Meeting Minute 3/10 in JAPAN

Fumio Nagasaka (genesis@peter.hd.epson.co.jp)
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:52:17 -0800

We had the steering committee meeting of PWG-C on 3/10 at Apple
Computer Japan. The following describes meeting minutes and
UN-approved draft charter of PWG-C.

1394 PWG-C Steering Committee Meeting Minutes
March 10, 1997 13:30 - 18:30
at Apple Japan, Inc./ Hatudai office / Tokyo, JAPAN

written by Fumio Nagasaka (Epson)

list of participators:
Nobuhiko Shinoda (shinoda@bsd.canon.co.jp) - Canon Inc.
Shigeru Ueda (ueda@pure.cpdc.canon.co.jp) - Canon Inc.
Tetsuro Kuwayama (tkuwa@ccc.canon.co.jp) - Canon Inc.
Naohisa Suzuki (nao@cbs.canon.co.jp) - Canon Inc.
Nobuhiro Ohnishi (ohnishi@cbm.canon.co.jp) - Canon Inc.
Atsushi Nakamura (atsnaka@cbs.canon.co.jp) - Canon Inc.
Kazuhiro Hirata (hirata@vip.iwa.fujixerox.co.jp) - Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd.
Yasushi Nagao (yasushin@microsoft.com) - Microsoft Co., Ltd.
Keisuke Tsuchida (keisuket@microsoft.com) - Microsoft Co., Ltd.
Toru Ueda (ueda@iml.mkhar.sharp.co.jp) - Sharp Corporation
Hiromitsu Kurokawa (kurokawa@prt.sony.co.jp) - Sony Corporation
Yukihiro Aoki (bose@cv.sony.co.jp) - Sony Corporation
Mikio Watanabe (mikio@den.fujifilm.co.jp) - Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd.
Fumihiro Fynazaki (funazaki@den.fujifilm.co.jp) - Fuji Photo Film Co.,
Ltd.
Junji Iwane (jiwane@asia.apple.com) - Apple Japan, Inc.
Masanori Tanizaki (taniyan@hd.epson.co.jp) - Seiko Epson Corporation
Fumio Nagasaka (genesis@hd.epson.co.jp) - Seiko Epson Corporation

Started at 13:08

1. Report from IETF

Fumio Nagasaka reported IETF PWG-1394 meeting which was held on 2/26
at Orlando, Florida with e-mail from Larry Stein. And Fumio introduced
status of "PWG-1394 Project".

Chair: Greg LeClair - Epson
Secretary: Larry Stein - Warp Nine Engineering
Editor: Brian Batchelder - HP

I repeated e-mail from Larry Stein at the end of this e-mail.

Questions and Answers

(1)
[Q] from Sony and Canon
US side of PWG seems to be mainly focusing on PC-based printing
architecture.

[A] from Epson
Yes. Actually very few company those have AV/C peripherals are
participating IETF PWG. All other companies are working on some
PC and OS platforms.

Sony:
The word "Consumer" does not sound good. There are many high end
audio video peripherals fitted with IEEE 1394 connector. Thus
not only consumer AV devices but also professional high end AV
devices will be used in peer to peer printing environment.

Epson:
If you say word "consumer" from quality points of view or marketing
points of view like as low end products or high end products. There
are various types of consumer PCs and printers in mass market. But
just we want to say is "Digital Camera or Digital VCR seems to be
more popular in home market", thus we are calling them as "consumer"
devices. All these device intended to be developed to be used in a home.

Others:
Thus we shall use the word "PC-based" and "non-PC based".......

(2)
[Q] from Canon
Still we are not clear about relationships of IETF PWG and PWG-1394
project.

[A] from Epson
The following shows a figure which was drawn by Larry at Albuquerque.

IETF NPA DMTF
| PWG / | 1394 TA 1284.X
===============/====================== ======= =======
/ | | / | | | / /
/ IPP JMP/ SENSE MIB/MIF | 1394 PWG / /
/ / ==========--/----------/
/--1284.1---/ | X3T10 SBP-2
| Transport ---- 1284.4
| Data Link ---- 1283.3
| Data Formats -- AV/CE
| Management

2. Scope for our focus and charter issue
2.1 Our focus
At first each company introduced what shall be their most biggest
interest in 1394 business.

* Sharp
Peer to peer printing shall be the biggest concern. Our consumer
device shall be connected to a printer directly and shall has
print capability. For the transport layer issue we want to
involve both consumer device and PC-based device. Is there any
consumer device which was mentioned in RFC xxxx?

* SONY
We need definition and standards for consumer device what we are
calling now. Every commands set and data formats those to be used
shall be same in PC devices and AV/C devices.

* Seiko Epson
We are planning PC-based printer first. But we would like to keep
inter-operability for AV/C and PC-based devices. Thus we need to
define design standard for Power Management and PnP issue.

* FUJIFILM
We are targeting direct printing from a digital camera to a printer.
In addition to this points of view we would like to define same
protocol(s) for PC and Digital camera.

* FUJI XEROX
We wish to have minimum standards to accomplish direct printing.
Thus we are interested in minimal transport and session layer, and
we need minimum specification of data set and commands. Each company
shall extend these specification by themselves. These architecture
could be called as "protocol kernelize".

Every consumer device shall operate PnP specification to avoid
confusion when user connect AV/C device to a PC. So shall we need to
define "LOGO" mark or trading standards?

* Microsoft
PCs shall have world wide standard for printing architecture even if
any consumer device had been connected, at least user shall be
notified safely. Thus peer to peer printing architecture should not
cause any side effect to PCs. And any device which support peer to
peer printing shall be connectable even for PC.

* Canon
Printers shall be connectable and shall have capability for
negotiation
for all IEEE 1394 devices. To do these, we need to classify printers
into
several class according to their service coverage. And we shall
discuss
about minimal specification for PC/non PC devices after we classified
them.
If it is possible we can have common sets of commands and data
formats.

* Apple
Printers shall be controlled from printer driver of Macintosh
environment.
Apple thinks input portion of imaging protocol is also very important
as
we are targeting multi media.
If QuickTime Media Layer has input capability for 1394 imaging class,
user
will wish to have printing capability also.
We also would like to support still image in QuickTime IC.

2.2. Scope for Charter
We had brain storm to write charter of PWG-C. We agreed that the PWG-C
will be the proposal source for PWG-1394 project, at first. Actually
we at eight companies were afraid of that how can we co-operate with
PWG-1394 project. Thus we shall be a proposal source, to propose our
opinion for PWG. In USA side, very few companies are going to have
some consumer products for home market fitted with IEEE 1394. But we
have many companies working for something for home market, such as
digital cameras or VCRs. So our proposal will have some consumer
devices'
points of view.

* Purpose (= Why): should contain these terms,
+ IEEE 1394 will enlarge printer market and will be a driving force
get larger amount of users.
+ IEEE 1394 will provide new functionality for printing and possibly
enhance printing applications.
+ In addition to conventional PC-based printing architecture, new
non-PC based applications such as direct printing will require
new standards and inter-operability for PC-based printing.
+ About guideline of implementation for particular system will be
discussed in other chance. Also certification for standards will
be discussed in another table.

* Scope (= How):
+ PWG-C as a proposal source for PWG will propose these points.
- A standard for the direct printing
- A standard for Plug & Play for AV/C device.
(AV/C = Sony calls 'non-PC based device')
- PWG-C will summarize various opinion of AV/C companies and then
will suggest a proposal.
- PWG-C shall be opened and public organization for any person who
want to propose or want to discuss something involved with 1394
printing.
- PWG-C has technical scope for printing standards shown below.
- to discuss upper layer than transaction layer which was
described in IEEE 1394-1995.

* Goal & Milestone (= What):
* 3/24 Approved Charter by PWG-C
* 4/2 Announcement to IETF PWG-1394 project
* 4/14 Announcement to 1394TA
* 6/24 Preliminary draft
* 9/E Reviced preliminary draft
* 12/E Final draft 1.0

Fumio Nagasaka shall reports Greg LeClair, Larry Stein and Brian
Batchelder
about meeting for PWG-C. To make it easier for PWG and PWG-C to co-work
in
Japan and USA, We at PWG-C would like to ask PWG-1394 project these
matters shown below.
(1) PWG-C requests PWG to have some 1394 meetings in Japan in 1997.
(2) PWG-C requests PWG-1394 Project to send one of editors' position
from PWG-C steering committee.

3.2 Organization and operation

Larry Stein wrote:
> In Japan, a group referring to itself as "PWG-J" has formed. It is made up
> of a bunch of companies, including Seiko-Epson, Canon and Sony. They are
> working on solving the same problem we are. They seem to be a little more
> focused on the consumer-device (e.g. camera) to printer connection. We
> talked at length about coordinating our efforts. It is absolutely critical
> to our success. Some of the options we discussed were:
> 1) periodic joint meetings
> 2) coordination through the chairmen
> 3) cross-membership on the e-mail reflectors
> 4) just "making them do it our way" (resoundingly vetoed)
> 5) working on the common problems first, to help drive inter-operability at
> the lowest levels

As I reported before we decided to change name from "PWG-J" to
"PWG-C" to show our stand points are focusing in the inter-operability
of consumer devices and PC-oriented devices, and to show the "PWG-C" is
opened not only for Japanese but also world wide.

We had voted rename issue on 3/3 at general meeting of PWG-J, and we
agreed
with new name "PWG-C". On 3/10 we at steering committee of PWG-C
discussed
some idea of operation rules for PWG-C. The following rule will be
discussed
on 3/24 at general meeting of PWG-C.

* Conditions for participation in PWG-C
+ The steering committee of PWG-C will provide general announcement
for PWG-C in Web server served by Epson. The general announcement
shall contain documents to show how to join in PWG-C, and
reflector e-mail address. Each company should register only one
person who is responsible for PWG-C issue.
+ Any company which would like to join us shall send e-mail to Chair
man and co-chair man of PWG-C.
+ Each company has single number of vote.
+ Each company shall send e-mail to chair man and co-chair man
join each meeting.
* Conditions to terminate participation in PWG-C
+ every company who wish to quit participating PWG-C
will be allowable.
* How to open information
+ Epson will provide Web server
Meeting minutes will be opened in the Web pages
* How to announce for meeting schedule
+ use mailing reflector

3.3. Bylaws

As proposal source for IETF PWG - 1394 project and 1394 TA, we confirm
same agreement for bylaws of 1394 TA and IETF. The succession of
bylaws
shall be discussed following PWG-C meeting after we reviewed bylaws of
upper site of meeting group.

4. Next meeting

At next steering committee meeting, we would like to focus some
technical points of view. The schedule of next steering committee
meeting
is shown bellow.

Date/Time: 3/17 from 11:00 -
Place: Canon Inc. Shinkawasaki branch, Japan
Agenda:
(1) Current problems and objectives (From each companies)
(2) Technical Issue (From each companies)
a) Minimum functions
b) Classification of devices
c) Succession abilities from the printer drivers point
Can we cover conventional driver architecture within a
protocol or within single printer class.
d) Implementation
e) Overall architecture
f) Necessity of protocols other than printing functions
g) Range of the protocol stack
(3) Procedures of Discussion
Do we need Sub-working groups for AV/C oriented printers