P1394 Mail Archive: P1394> RE: [PP1394:00048] Printers and SBP-2

P1394> RE: [PP1394:00048] Printers and SBP-2

Fumio Nagasaka (genesis@hd.epson.co.jp)
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 05:16:47 +0900

Peter, Danny, thank you for your helpful information.

* This sounds like unsolicited status to me; covered by SBP-2.

Actually some printers are needed to have reverse directional data transfer.
The reverse directional (printer --> PC) data flow is intended to designed to
service status. And we also would like to use reverse direction as pure
data flow. One of the good example is printer cluster which is consisted by
tow or more printers. When one of these printer has some trouble (due to
lacks of paper or some other reason), other printer may perform printing
instead it.

For this sort of application, IEEE P1284.4 has capability to service reverse
data flow. Off cause this feature could be convenient even for status reporting
from a printer.

I think "Normal command block ORB's" are supporting full feature of reverse
data flow. Thus I believe SBP-2 can cover "Credit Base Transaction (CBT)"
of IEEE P1284.4.

I guess we may enclose our packets in data buffer associated by ORBs.
I have a question to implement SBP-2 for printers. Can we have multiple
fetch agent in a target device. I am curious whether we can enclose particular
packets those have a tag as a header of each packet, and also can have
a particular fetch agent which seeks special packets those have the tag.

If it is possible it could be helpful to make priority queue style linked ORBs.
Fumio Nagasaka
Epson Software Development Laboratory Inc.
Tel +81 268 25 4111, Fax +81 268 25 4627
E-mail to genesis@hd.epson.co.jp