P1394 Mail Archive: Re: P1394> RE:Results of IEEE MSC Meeting on 7/14

Re: P1394> RE:Results of IEEE MSC Meeting on 7/14

gregory leclair (gregory_leclair@erc.epson.com)
Wed, 16 Jul 97 19:19:02 PDT

Ats Nakamura wrote:
==================
Since the MSC has agreed to take the function discovery
issue up at the IEEE1212 revision working group,
does that mean;

1) The MSC sees the function discovery issue as a
IEEE1212 problem, not only a IEEE1394 issue?
(PCI....etc?)

2) The MSC sees the origional intent of the
IEEE1212's definition of the unit directory
IS protocol discovery after all, not function discovery.

GL>The intent was that some information may fit into 1212.

GL>If it does, it should be proposed within the context of the 1212 spec.
GL>Since 1212 is up for reaffirmation, this is the time to make requests known.

GL>We need to identify what information, if any, can/should be put into 1212
GL>space that will solve the function discovery problem.

Is this just the beginning of this disscusion?

GL>Yes

Was there any technical disscusion to backup the idea
for the function discovery be incorporated with 1212?

GL>Some

I am afraid that we will have to start taking other buses
(using IEEE1212) into consideration.

GL>They may feel the same way.

This group would be the PWG/PWG-C, not a new group,right?

GL>This is part of the 1212 WG - we're merely a task group.
GL>My plan is that this will be discussed at PWG meetings.
GL>I can't speak for PWG-C or DSI-WG or 1394 TA.

Greg LeClair

EPSON IMAGING TECHNOLOGY CENTER greg@erc.epson.com
2833 Junction Ave., Suite 200 408.474.0500.x3610
San Jose, CA 95134 408.474.0511 FAX