P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> RE:Results of IEEE MSC Meeting on 7/14

RE: P1394> RE:Results of IEEE MSC Meeting on 7/14

Larry Stein (lstein@fapo.com)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:16:52 -0700

Hello to all,

Sorry I missed the last meeting.

With regards to this issue of 1212 vs 1394 I have a few comments.
I think that the 1394PWG was well represented at the MSC meeting. Greg,
Don and I were there for the discussion.

For the past few 1394PWC/PWG-C meetings we have focused on the 1212
standard as the method to implement the Device and Function Discovery. A
number of times the question was raised as to whether this is a 1212 or
1394 issue. This subject was discussed at length at the MSC meeting. The
committee felt that this was best placed under 1212 for the following reasons:

1- This methodology can be applied to interfaces other than 1394
2- Since the 1212 spec is open for reaffirmation this gives us more
flexibility in defining the discovery mechanism.
3- We don't have the overhead of creating a new IEEE committee for this.
This means we could go to ballot before the end of the year.
There is a push to have this done by December. Impossible as a new
IEEE committee.
4- There are just a few additional minor 1212 issues. So there will be very
little impact on what we are doing.
5- As the only 1212 "task group", we will meet just as we are now. No
change in our procedure.
6- This doesn't effect the printing protocol part of our discussions.

For these reasons it seems to me that this is a good way to proceed. If
two months from now we find that we need a separate path then that is still
available.

Thanks,
Larry

and At 03:34 PM 7/17/97 -0700, Oktay, Ozay wrote:
>I agree with Nakamura-san..
>
>The disadvantages of involving another group (ie 1212) will definitely
>outweigh the advantages. The Functional Discovery issue should be dealt
>with under 1394..
>
>Best Regards
>Ozay Oktay
>
>Canon Information Systems
>ozay_oktay@cissc.canon.com

Larry A. Stein Phone: (619)292-2740
Warp Nine Engineering Fax: (619)292-8020
Web: http://www.fapo.com