P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> RE: TEL-Conference

RE: P1394> RE: TEL-Conference

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 11:33:25 -0800

See my comments to your comments....;)

Randy

[Turner, Randy]
[Turner, Randy]
In either case, I think this is an application issue. I do agree

however, that performing PnP of 1284.4 devices would be
a bad implementation for potential clients, but it would not
impact a server's ability to handle multiple inbound
connections, at least as far as the 1284.4 layer is concerned.

> > > May be, "login" and "logout" shall be associated with DL_register
> and
> > > DL_unrgister.
> > > Thus I feel PWG-profile shall specify the timing for login/logout.
>
> > > These facilities
> > > ought to be implemented in Data Link stuff
> > > (DL_register/DL_unregister).
> > [Turner, Randy] I like this idea. The DL_register and
> > DL_unregister
> > entry points for the 1394-based DL would translate these calls
> > into login and logout calls. It seems to make sense for how
> > these
> > entry points were originally designed to work.
>
> So how does this fit in with "transient cable disruptions"
> which last more than 1 second? What takes care of the disruptions?
[Turner, Randy]

Any link-specific error conditions should be transmitted to
link-layer clients through the DL_INDICATION or DL_NOTIFY
type of entry point. It is up to the link-specific code to
determine whether or not a particular link-layer event should
cause any or all connections over a particular link to be
closed.

> > > 2. Login waiting time
> > >
> > > IEEE 1394 provides network-like platform for PCs.
> > >
> > > - PC A is printing a document using Printer X.
> > > - PC B is waiting to start printing while 10 seconds.
> > > - PC C is waiting to start printing while 10 minutes.
> > >
> > > Then PC C shall be allowed to start printing session earlier than
> PC
> > > B.
> > > I felt current PWG protocol stack does not provide any answer to
> solve
> > >
> > > this issue.
> > > Because PC B or PC C may invoke login while PC A is printing. When
> PC
> > > is printing, the data channel shall be busy, so IEEE 1284.4
> transport
> > > replies busy
> > > status if PC B or PC C try to open this channel. But after PC A
> closed
> > >
> > > this
> > > data channel, IEEE 1284.4 allows a PC which ever calls OpenChannel
>
> > > earlier than
> > > other PC to open this data channel.
>
> > [Turner, Randy] The description of this "problem" is really an
> > implementation issue. This scenario says that the 1284.4
> > printer would return "busy" if an OpenChannel was attempted
> > while the printer was printing over a previously opened
> > connection. However, the printer may elect to accept an
> > OpenChannel from as many potential clients as possible,
> > and only accept data from the first connection. The other
> > open channels would be processed in some order, as
> > each printing session completes. The other connections would
> > be flow controlled until the printer is ready to accept
> > data on each channel.
> >
> > Basically, the policy that is used for printing arbitration
> > is not defined by 1284.4. It is defined by the application
> > using the 1284.4 transport. Therefore, I don't think the
> > proposal for an OpenChannel_solicitation is necessary.
> > If this type of functionality is needed, it would be an
> > application function, not a transport function.
> >
> > Randy
>
> Randy's reasoning sounds good. The more I think about it, though,
> the more I think the device sharing solution goes beyond our control.
> PC A may have 10 more jobs in it's spooler that are 3 hours old, and
> PC C's job may be only 10 minutes old. We don't have enough knowledge
> to make a completely fair choice from the users' perspective.
>
> The application can determine policy for arbitrating between all the
> requests it can maintain at once, but we have to define (or
> acknowledge)
> what happens when it the application refuses additional requests.
[Turner, Randy]

If we have to recognize application policy, then this would not
be a normative part of a potential standard; rather, it would be
included as a part of some informational appendix to a
document.

Randy