P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

RE: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

Stephen Holmstead (stephen@hpb16977.boi.hp.com)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 20:58:39 -0700

I agree with Toru that we NEED a symmetrical transport. I really don't
care which option (A or B) is used, as long as we can provide a
symmetrical connection. In fact, that was one of the PWG transport
requirements from that start, but it just seems that we have accepted a
transport (SBP-2) that isn't symmetrical and we are calling it good.
The PWG-C also needs a symmetrical transport. I would love to have the
same transport for the PWG and PWG-C (since they both have the same
requirements). I would HATE to have to make a printer that implemented
two different transports for PWG and PWG-C printing. I think most
printer manufacturers would agree.

Greg Shue said that he made a proposal to the January PWG that would
extend SBP-2 so that it was symmetrical (at least that is what I
understand--I may be way off here). If so, that would be great. I have
not been able to find any minutes from the PWG since Dec 97 (anyone got
some?).

1394 could really use a commonly accepted symmetrical transport layer.
If that's 1284.4, great. If that's a modified SBP-2, great. If that's
TCP/IP, great. If that's DPP's Thin Protocol, great.

Personally, I am biased towards IP or 1284.4 (if you couldn't tell).

Stephen Holmstead