P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

RE: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 18:44:01 -0800

Hitoshi,

It is my impression that SBP-2, as being implemented by Microsoft, is
initiator-only. Is this still the case? Overall, I would agree with you
that SBP-2 would work fine for printing, but I would like the same
transport to be used for multifunction devices, including printing,
scanning, fax, etc. For this reason I would like our specification to
say that we can support an overall SBP-2 that contains both target and
initiator functionality.

There has been some discussion on the list in the past that this request
is "difficult to do". To date, I haven't seen any technical rationale
for this sentiment. Rather, Michael Teener and others have stated that
it can be accomplished. One other reason that was mentioned, was that
supporting target-SBP-2 would require dynamic settings to the
configuration ROM for NT 5.0. I do not think supporting both
initiator-and-target SBP-2 would require dynamic config ROM settings.

And yes, I would also like to reiterate my desire to see access to this
transport available through a Winsock-2 address family.

Randy