P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> 1212 Issues - was May 1394 PWG Definitions

RE: P1394> 1212 Issues - was May 1394 PWG Definitions

Gregory A. LeClair (gleclair@agentz.com)
Wed, 27 May 1998 22:03:49 -0700

Okay. I understand your comments.

In terms of change / addition to structure - the issues are key
definitions in 1212r and a registry for the function class values.

Cheers,
Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Turner, Randy [SMTP:rturner@sharplabs.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 1998 5:21 PM
To: p1394@pwg.org
Subject: RE: P1394> 1212 Issues - was May 1394 PWG Definitions

See my comments below...

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg LeClair [SMTP:gleclair@agentz.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 1998 4:34 PM
To: p1394@pwg.org
Subject: P1394> 1212 Issues - was May 1394 PWG
Definitions

Others that have been involved in revisions work please
comment.....

My understanding is that current 1212 definitions are an issue.
See if the following applies:

Changes to Config ROM may be limited to new keys and or
structures.
Is this what you meant by "revise how config ROM is structured"?

Yes. But limiting changes to "structures" is not very limiting.
Our original proposal including the addition of a "function" directory
is just such a structure addition.

And yes, there is legacy within 1212. The existing spec, it's
inclusion as
a reference in other specs and bus standards......

I was referring to "legacy" in the case of "legacy" SBP-2
implementations in shipping devices that would be used as "targets".

I think 1212R is just extending 1212 to cover other requirements that
have come up since original publication. Whatever "R" does should be
backwards compatible with the original 1212. Of course, I may be wrong
about this.

The compliance terminology on new items is an issue.

Regards,
Greg