P1394 Mail Archive: Re: P1394> MAX_?2?_DATA_SIZE(Was Re: Revised PWG1394 Cmd Set)

Re: P1394> MAX_?2?_DATA_SIZE(Was Re: Revised PWG1394 Cmd Set)

Akihiro Shimura (shimura@pure.cpdc.canon.co.jp)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:20:20 +0900 (JST)

Thank you for the explanation.

I am now a little clear on this topic (, I hope).

Originally, it was very questionable for me that the target must
resend the "entire" buffer though the target is sending data over
very reliable (acknowledged) 1394 transactions.

If the initiator can keep the contents of buffer, the target only
needs to resend outstanding transaction(s).
I thought this avoids redundant re-transmission on the wire while
allowing utilization of buffer beyond the target resource.

Whether the initiator keeps the contents of buffer or not depends on
the underlying implementation on the initiator (i.e. interpretation
on the buffer's "direction" bit set to one).

So I would like to propose an enhancement to the recovery model based
on the "MAX_T2I_DATA_SIZE" to take advantage of shared memory model
while keeping independence of implementations.

The enhancement is based on negotiated MAX_T2I_DATA_SIZE reflecting
initiator's preference.

The definition of MAX_T2I_DATA_SIZE will look like following;

MAX_T2I_DATA_SIZE provided by the target indicates the maximum unit
of target-to-initiator data the target can guarantee to hold and
re-send in case of recovering requeued TRANSPORT_T2I_DATA command.
Initiator may set this parameter value smaller than the value
provided by the target. The value zero specified by the initiator
indicates that the target needs not to guarantee to hold and
re-send data beyond 1394 transaction.
Target shall guarantee to hold and re-send data up to this
(negotiated) parameter size.
Responsibility to hold the contents of buffer beyond this parameter
size belongs to the initiator.
The initiator shall avoid to issue TRANSPORT_T2I_DATA command which
has associated buffer larger than this parameter in case that the
buffer contents may not be held.

Though this enhancement will not be optimal in the spirit of shared
memory model, I think almost the same result will be derived by this
enhancement.

Ueda-san from Canon will make a presentation on this enhancement at
upcoming Toronto meeting.

BTW, MAX_I2T_DATA_SIZE parameter seems not to be useful at all for
both ends, and should be gone. Any objections?

Akihiro Shimura

 Office Imaging System Promotion Project
 CANON INC.