P1394 Mail Archive: P1394> RE: BUSY_TIMEOUT register(CSR) register!!

P1394> RE: BUSY_TIMEOUT register(CSR) register!!

Jabs, Chris (Chris.Jabs@symbios.com)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:46:06 -0600

Venkat,
The host writes to the BUSY_TIMEOUT register right after LOGIN. The last
nibble (0x0F) is where the BUSY retry count value is set in the target
device. For example: When the host buffers are full and are unable to
accept any more data from the target a BUSYX ack is send to the target. The
target will continue to retry the data until the BUSY_TIMEOUT value is
exhausted (usually 16 retries). At this time the target quits retrying the
data and waits for the host to re-initiate the target again. This example
should hold true for no-ACKs and an kind of BUSY ack.
The 0xF0 is a reserved value and why this is written to the target I don't
know. Our 1394 target native bridge ignores this value.

-Chris Jabs
LSI Logic
1394 Systems Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: venkatesh v [mailto:venkat_gl@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 1999 3:33 AM
To: ohci
Cc: 1394@DVCentral.org; ip1394@mailbag.cps.intel.com; p1394@pwg.org
Subject: BUSY_TIMEOUT register(CSR) register!!

Hi
Could anybody tell me what a write request to a BUSY_TIMEOUT register
(CSR register at an offset 0x210 from CSR space)means? I get a data of
0xFF to be written into? when does a initiator (source)write a value
into a target's (destination's) BUSY_TIMEOUT register???

Eagerly awaiting a reply,

Rgds,
Venkat