P1394 Mail Archive: P1394> Re: SBP-2

P1394> Re: SBP-2

From: Peter Johansson (PJohansson@ACM.org)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 16:04:40 EDT

    At 01:24 PM 8/2/00, Gene_Milligan%SEAGATE@Seagate.COM wrote:

    >Is this "bringing" [of bidiectionality] in the form of deltas to SBP-2 or
    >in the form of deltas to 1394?

    As always, trust your own conclusions first and foremost. I refer you to
    the attached draft of IEEE P1394.3 (sorry for this breach of netiquette,
    but there are problems with the IEEE server and I can't supply a URL).

    In my opinion, IEEE P1394.3 contains only very minor deltas to SBP-2 and
    none whatsoever to IEEE 1394. See Annex B for divergences from current ANSI
    NCITS 325-1998.

    The bulk of IEEE P1394.3 requires no changes to SBP-2; it is an explanation
    of a method which may be used to enable bidirectional, peer-to-peer
    communications to SBP-2. If this problem were approached from scratch in
    SBP, we might do the same thing or we might find a superior alternative.

    >Approval of letter ballot comments (if any) for the ISO/IEC version of
    >SBP-2 (currently the same as the ANS) is to be on the agenda for the
    >September T10 meeting. Should any of the p1394.3 product be considered for
    >the US comments (if any) for ISO/IEC SBP-2?

    Perhaps so. I think the matters addressed in Annex B are appropriate for US
    comment on ISO/IEC SBP-2. I say this because the divergences are minor and,
    in my opinion, in no way violate any of the original goals of SBP-2.

    I expect to be at the T10 plenary Thursday, September 14, and if time is
    granted on the agenda can make a brief presentation.

    Regards,

    Peter Johansson

    Congruent Software, Inc.
    98 Colorado Avenue