PMP Mail Archive: Re[2]: PMP> Paper Out with Tray linking - Alerts

Re[2]: PMP> Paper Out with Tray linking - Alerts

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:08:34 -0500

Gail,

I understand your point. Indeed, much will depend on how the Printer
MIB is to be used. Some have considered that the hrDevice portion will
be used by general network applications but that printer intense
management applications will use the printer Alerts table. Indeed, the
argument for some of the new objects was to facilitate application
awareness of an alert event.

There is little question but that the HR MIB does not address some of
the subtleties of modern high speed, multi-input printers. It would be
an interesting exercise to map the limited signaling available in the
HR MIB to the multitude of information/warning/alert events and states
that may be of interest. Indeed, Harry's suggestion of adding a byte
or two to the hrPrinterDetectedErrorState bitmap might be a way to do
it.

On the other hand, the Alert Table was designed to address these
problems in fine detail.

Bill Wagner, DPI