PMP Mail Archive: Re: Re[2]: PMP> Should Alerts be replicated???

Re: Re[2]: PMP> Should Alerts be replicated???

Gail Songer (Gail.Songer@eng.efi.com)
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 10:40:07 -0800

Folks,

Lets take a look at a potential, hypothetical implementation. Lets say that my
printer has at most 200 things that can go wrong with it, inclunding everything
from toner low, to paper out for all the trays, to printer on fire. I need all
of the information for the 6 prtAlert variables, and I decide to organize this
information into a table in ROM space. Now to actually construct the alert
table I need a linked list with 3 elements, the index id, the index to my table
in the ROM space, and a next pointer. Lets say that these 3 elements take up 4
bytes apeice. So for my implementation I have used, at most, 2400 bytes of RAM,
which is around 2.5k. I can reduce this number further since I know that there
are some alerts that mutually exclusive with other alerts; for example I know
that a tray can be low on paper or out of paper, but never both. In my opinion,
this is well with the noise range for any printer that wants to include 1759
support, including low memory devices.

Gail

--

Gail Songer Electronics For Imaging gail.songer@eng.efi.com 2855 Campus Drive (415) 286-7235 San Mateo, CA 94403