PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> prtInputMedia...Dims

RE: PMP> prtInputMedia...Dims

Bob Pentecost (bpenteco@boi.hp.com)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:27:10 -0700

Speaking for the LaserJet 5Si, we implement the Declared/Chosen mechanism
for Tray 1 which in the multi-purpose tray. If a size is Declared that is
close (~0.1 inch, I think) to a supported size, then the Chosen size will
be a supported size (e.g., if Declared is 8.4x11.1, 8.5x11 is Chosen); the
Declared value is not changed by the printer.

For the other trays that sense the size of media loaded, the Declared
objects are read-only.

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------
From: Caruso,Angelo[SMTP:Angelo_Caruso@wb.xerox.com]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 1997 9:26 AM
To: pmp@pwg.org
Cc: "Harry Lewis <harryl@vnet.ibm.com>"
Subject: RE: PMP> prtInputMedia...Dims

Harry,

Sorry I missed this call (and all the other recent interop review
calls) but product development schedules dictate my time lately, as
you all can well appreciate. We do in fact implement DECLARED as r/w
for some products (the XPrint products, for example). And we do
actually use it as a way of configuring the printer to know what paper
size is in a tray for sizes that cannot be detected. Specifically we
have products which can detect typical sizes like letter, A4, and
legal, but cannot detect other sizes which the printer does in fact
support. So we use DECLARED as a way of telling the printer "hey I
know you can't detect what size is in tray 1 right now but, trust me,
it's 8 x 10". In this case, if you then load letter in tray 1,
DECLARED will still indicate 8 x 10, but CHOOSEN will change to
letter. Does this make sense to anyone? I believe it pushes the
definition of these objects to the limit, but we do use it this way.

Angelo