PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Definitions of Active, Busy, Idle, Standby

Re: PMP> Definitions of Active, Busy, Idle, Standby

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 20:02:28 -0500

The December version of the MIB, released as an internet draft, has
the following. Why are we going over this again? Did I miss a phone
conference?

Bill Wagner

Standby - The printer or sub-unit is unavailable for use because it is
partially powered down and may need some period of time to become
fully operational again. A unit in Standby state shall respond to
network management requests.

Available - The printer or subunit is functioning normally.
Idle - The printer or subunit is not processing any print jobs

Active - The printer or subunit is working on one or more print jobs

Busy - The printer or subunit is "Active" and has also reached a
resource threshold whereby it will not accept any new print jobs for a
finite period of time. The expected next state transition from the
"busy" state is to the "active" state, implying that resources are
again available to accept new print jobs.