PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Actual rules on Proposed to Draft transition

Re: PMP> Actual rules on Proposed to Draft transition

Randy Turner (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 20:24:14 -0800

Ira Mcdonald x10962 wrote:

> Hi PWG folks,
>
> The requirement for two independent AND interoperable implementations is
> ONLY for the transition from Draft Standard to [Official] Standard, per
> the excerpt from Internet Official Protocol Standard (RFC 2000), below.
> Nonetheless, the best practice is considered to be a proof that BOTH
> independent AND interoperable implementations exist BEFORE advancing
> from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard.

Thats not exactly true. Scott Bradner told Chris, Lloyd, and I (at the
last plenary) that two independent and interoperable implementations is
typically required for advancement to draft standard. This is beared out
in the latest RFC 2026 "The Internet Standards Process - Revision 3",
section 4.1.2 specifically.

Randy