PMP Mail Archive: Re: Re[2]: PMP> Alert table thoughts

Re: Re[2]: PMP> Alert table thoughts

JK Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:24:59 -0500 (EST)

Bill,

First, I have no real complaints about what you refer to as "editing"
of the Alert Table with respect to unary alerts.

I previously asked Harry Lewis:

If a mgmt app can't trust the Alert Table to contain all
existing problem descriptions (ie, critical alerts), then how
can the Alert Table be useful?

Given, if the mgmt app polls the printer at a fairly high rate,
then perhaps the mgmt app can believe that it won't miss the
insertion of a new alert. But I wouldn't bet money on that
approach.

Can you shed some light on what kinds of problem areas and
scenarios would find the Alert Table useful?

I would now like to ask you the same questions. What problem scenarios
can you suggest that would make good use of an Alert Table that does
not necessarily contain all existing critical alerts?

I'll say in advance that if the answer is something like "well, it can
be used as a 'hint' to a mgmt app...", then I'd have to point out that
we already have other objects to provide such hints, such as the counters
indicating changes to the Alert Table (which, if the Alert Table were
to be removed, would be changed to simply reflect the number of critical
alerts encountered, rather than reflecting changes to the Alert Table).

Bill, please give us your ideas about how the Alert Table can be used
given the current design. We'd really appreciate it.

By the way, have you had any experience in coding a mgmt app to deal
with the Alert Table? Has anyone else in PWG land experienced this
effort?

If the Alert Table were not so critical for our printer mgmt app, I'd
simply smile when you call my comments "hyperbole". However, when we
ask our customers whether it would be OK for us to miss a critical
alert or two, they inevitably remark "Then what good is your
software?" This does not make me smile. Your comments below make it
sound as if it's ok for the mgmt app to miss critical alerts.

Does anyone else out there share Bill's view, that it's ok for a mgmt
app to miss critical alerts? It could be that the answer to this
question will ultimately drive the resolution of this entire issue.

Comments from one and all are definitely appreciated. I would really
like to see some comments from the Lexmark and Tektronix folks, in
particular.

...jay