PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Traps - new info

Re: PMP> Traps - new info

Chris Wellens (chrisw@iwl.com)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:40:13 -0700

Bob,

There seems to be a misunderstanding about testing here.

When IWL releases tests for a particular MIB, we have to literally
interpret the RFC, and some tests become prerequisites for other tests. In
the case of the trap tests in the Printer MIB, the prerequisite tests first
scan the host resources table to generate a list of printers for the tester
to select, and second, check for valid syntax, status, etc. on various
objects in the Host Resources MIB and cross references them to related
objects that are supposed to be implemented. If we don't require the
prerequisites, the resulting tests can generate false positives. This
becomes an issue of integrity for us.

The product implementor, on the other hand, has complete knowledge of what
was implemented and what was not. Often there are excellent reasons to
avoid implementing something. If there are tests that check for things
that were not implemented, then they are not useful, and can often be quite
confusing to the QA people. So, the best thing to do is to either remove
them or modify them.

The whole reason the tests are written in the Tool Command Language and
shipped as source is so that you can easily modify the tests and by pass
the ones that are not appropriate for your product implementation. This is
very easy to do and is fully documented in the Developer's Guide.

There's a built in conflict between producing tests that literally
interpret the RFC and using tests that are appropriate for your use of the
RFC in a product implementation. We resolve the conflict by supplying the
source.

Please pass this on to the testing organization. We will be glad to help
them out with this.