PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> DMTF / CIM -- Printer vendor participation?

RE: PMP> DMTF / CIM -- Printer vendor participation?

Farrell, Lee (Lee_Farrell@cissc.canon.com)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:28:12 -0700

lee
==================================
Lee Farrell
Canon Information Systems
(714) 438-7163 - voice
(714) 432-1531 - fax
lfarrell@cissc.canon.com
==================================

>----------

Yes, there was much reference to WBEM. It seems that CIM is just one
component of Microsoft's grand vision for WBEM. (Originally, it was
called HMMS -- but the DMTF took it over and made it "better." Now
Microsoft endorses CIM.) Not surprisingly, Intel (which seems to be
driving most of DMTF) is also a strong supporter of the WBEM initiative.
More info on WBEM is available at http://wbem.freerange.com/

>Also, was Sun's new Java-based "JMAPI" work discussed for integration?

JMAPI, CORBA, HMM and "Other" were all referenced as alternatives for
exchanging management objects/information. DMTF claims that all will be
able to take advantage of the CIM model (and vice-versa). However, I
didn't hear any specifics about JMAPI per se. Java (and COM and C++)
were referenced as possible options for interfacing between a Management
application and Microsoft's Hypermedia Object Manager (HMOM) -- another
of the WBEM entities. Evidently, Novell's ManageWise is planning on (or
already has?) some sort of Java-based Management approach.

>How about any references to the various CORBA-related activities going
>on with net-based management?

Again, no real specifics -- just that the CIM model would be useful to
it. (I can't swear to it, but I got the impression that Tivoli/IBM is
big on CORBA? Tivoli is a major impetus behind the CIM.)

>Whatever the DMTF comes up with will certainly be interesting to
>review. However, it's hard to imagine that they are doing anything
>more than simply reinventing the wheel for the bulk of their effort.
>
>What does their approach offer the world that doesn't already exist in
>the other approaches? Where is the differentiation? Why would they
>roll their own, rather than joining an existing effort?

If I absorbed the message correctly, I think the CIM model is an attempt
to unify (and offer more capability beyond) the current implementations
of SNMP, CMIP, DMI and "Other." It is more of a focus for enabling
Management applications to be platform and/or device management
implementation independent. The plan is for individual object providers
to act between the different implementations and the HMOM (via HMMP?).

>Lee, I don't expect you to answer most of these questions, but I was
>others might be able to shed some light here.

I'd like to hear other insights, too.