PMP Mail Archive: Re[2]: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

Re[2]: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Fri, 2 May 1997 11:19:33 -0400

I was not part of the conference call, so I am not privy to the
considerations that resulted in the consensus that Jay wishes to
reverse. But, if one takes ignorance to allow objectivity, to me
Jay's indicated alternative makes perfect sense.

Despite the confusion in the precise meaning of 'off line', it
(almost) always results in the printer not printing subsequent print
jobs, so I see no difficulty in using it in the way suggested.

I would also suggest that there has been enough last minute stuff here
to warrant a review at San Diego. Last minute changes have a way of
causing problems in the future.

Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI

Subject: Re: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal
Author: JK Martin <jkm@underscore.com> at Internet
Date: 5/1/97 10:08 PM

--------snip

Here's a proposal to fix that problem that results in the reversal
of consensus reached in the last telecon:

If the printer automatically goes offline when one of
the 16 defined top conditions is encountered, then the
hrPrinterDetectedErrorState variable is set to "offline".
In this case, no "offline" alert should be added to the
Alert Table.

When a condition occurs that causes the printer to automatically
go offline, a critical alert is added to the Alert Table, and
the alert code reflects the specific nature of the condition.

The only time an "offline" alert is added to the Alert Table
is when the printer is directed to go offline by management
control, either remotely or locally, from the front panel.

------snip

Again, a fundamental assumption here is that the definition of "offline"
implies the printer has ceased its normal operations, which by definition,
is a "critical" problem. (Note that some implementations use "offline"
to denote they are not currently accepting print requests, but printing
could be in progress with no problems present.)