PMP Mail Archive: Re[2]: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

Re[2]: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Thu, 8 May 1997 15:50:26 -0400

I offer an opinion as an outside observer. As Gail suggests, the HRMIB
hrPrinterDetectedErrorState is a bit map that allows the two
conditions, toner low and off-line to be flagged. Off-line is the
condition that prompts the hrDeviceStatus = down. When the user puts
the device on-line, low toner remains, but device status is no longer
down.

This reflects what is happening very well. I don't see why we want to
monkey with it.

My own feeling is that, in the case where a toner low prompts an off
line, the Alert table should have two alerts; one for low toner and
another for off-line. The idea of a condition that changes from
critical to warning is aesthetically displeasing. I guess you could
have two sequential events..toner low unacknowledged, which was
critical and toner low acknowledged which was a warning (and which
terminated the former). But I think we are making things more
complicated than necessary.

Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI