PMP Mail Archive: Re[6]: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

Re[6]: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Fri, 9 May 1997 13:00:45 -0400

Subject: Re: Re[4]: PMP> Top 25 minus 4 conditions/alerts proposal
Author: JK Martin <jkm@underscore.com> at Internet
Date: 5/9/97 12:05 PM

Geez, don't hold back, Bill. ;-)

WW.. Indeed, I have been.

> An example might be removing a paper tray should not cause all the
> alerts associated with media. But if a manufacturer/user has chosen
> to have a low toner condition precipitate an off line condition, these
> are still two separate conditions, which may be independently cleared.
> One could remove the low toner condition without the off line and
> vice-versa. To treat them as one condition seems unreasonable, and
> produces oddities like the alert that changes from a critical to a
> warning level.

With this statement you've completely disregarded the past statements
about what the user sees and expects. That's unfortunate. Others see
it differently than you.

WW.. Not disregarded, but apparently disagreed ...which is why I offered my
observation. I suggest that the status should refect the status of the machine.
What the user sees and expects will vary from user to user and perhaps is in the
area of the management application to customize. (;)>
As a user myself, it seems that since I can independently shut off the low toner
and the off line conditions, they are indeed two conditions, not one.

Bill Wagner Osicom/DPI