PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Improved Static Localization (per Angelo C)

RE: PMP> Improved Static Localization (per Angelo C)

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 09:58:00 PDT

Hi Bob,

Actually I did NOT mean to discriminate between objects which
happen to be 'read-only' in the Printer MIB versus ones which
are 'read-write' for the 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC'
string objects.

Out-of-band protocols and/or local console interactions by
system administrators may ALSO change the value of 'read-only'
objects.

My MAIN point w/ 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC' is to
provide unambiguous information about the language, country,
and code set of these strings for use by both vendor-specific
and open systems print clients and monitor applications.
That is what my FujiXerox peers are also most concerned
about.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
High North Inc
906-494-2434

PS - Why did you bother to give this constructive input
and criticism in the following note and then (in your
subsequent) note demand the removal of ALL of my suggested
changes for localization clarifications? But thank you
for the useful input and discussion anyway...