PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Localization changes to the Printer MIB

Re: PMP> Localization changes to the Printer MIB

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:21:43 PDT

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the localization
clarifications (NOT changes) via explict textual conventions
(rather than mere ASN.1 comments) did NOT get review in mid-April
when I proposed them. You are the first person to comment on
them in a LONG while.

If we 'go back to the previous version' the rules about the
use of 'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' (for 'xxxDescription'
objects) and 'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' won't change.

The textual conventions I proposed merely made it SAFER to
deduce what the applicable 'locale' is for a given string
object (except for the IMPORTANT ability for a non-English
and non-ASCII product to use an appropriate language and
code set for the other string objects, which were formerly
FORCED to be ASCII only - useless to the majority of the
people alive in this world today).

The reasoning behind the b) and c) clauses is NOT that
a remote client needs to present to their human user the
string in the managed device's locale, but merely that
when translating it (for language and/or code set), it
interpret the data in the strings as being CURRENTLY
in the referenced managed device's locale.

It is specifically in order to let the three principal
languages of North America (English, French, and Spanish)
be used by different remote clients WITHOUT modifying
a managed device's locale that I suggested these
clarifications.

Lloyd and Chris asked for meaningful comments a month
ago - the silence was deafening.

I'm also trying to get out product - to whit, a common
client for the entire Asia/Pacific marketplace for
FujiXerox network printers and multi-function devices
being developed by the team I work with at a US Xerox
site - and 7-bit ASCII is NOT a helpful code set for
network administrators and end users in MOST of their
markets.

The localization is NOT holding up the new Printer MIB.
There are several dozen other (mostly much more substantive)
updates (which have been enumerated in Lloyd's note over
the last three months) which have often also not been
reviewed or discussed on the mailing list - and by IETF
rules for sanctioned working groups, face-to-face meetings
have NO STANDING - if it wasn't discussed and explicated
on the mailing list, it DID NOT HAPPEN!

Thanks for commenting,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
High North Inc
PO Box 221
Grand Marais, MI 49839
906-494-2434