PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Revised proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow

Re: PMP> Revised proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow

JK Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:47:47 -0400 (EDT)

Either limit works for me. A max of 63 should work for Unix systems,
and probably Microsoft platforms (right?).

But what about NetWare and its brethren? (Scott should answer this one.)
And what about OS/2?

I'd like to suggest that the rationale for setting the max length
of this object value should be based on the max value for a "printer"
object for all widely deployed printing systems in use today.

That is, we want to (and should be) able to cleanly support all
printing systems widely deployed today. Just my $0.02 worth.

...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: lpyoung@lexmark.com
To: pmp@pwg.org
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:10:22 -0400
Subject: Re: PMP> Revised proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow
superset of ASCII

I am hearing from some of the working group that we should
accept Tom's latest proposal. Part of the proposal includes
changing the syntax of the prtGeneralPrinterName from
DisplayString to OCTET STRING. What is the proposed size limits
of prtGeneralPrinterName as an OCTET STRING (0 to 63) or
(0 to 255)?

Regards,
Lloyd Young

----- End Included Message -----