PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Revised proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow superset of ASCII

Re: PMP> Revised proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow superset of ASCII

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:27:10 PDT

Hi David,

If we took your 'suggestion' below, and made all current OCTET
STRING objects which are supposed to be ASCII, allow any UTF-8
sequence, then we would certainly break both HP and Lexmark
implementations (and I have reason to be believe also, some
unshipped Xerox products under development) and probably several
others - where's the gain.

RFC 2130 does NOT say just use 'UTF-8'. It says that all new
application protocols shall use 'UTF-8' as their default character
set and that they shall convey both 'Charset' (per the IANA
registry, based on ISO, ANSI, and various other national standards)
and 'Language' (per RFC 1766, which builds a combined language-country
tag up from the same two ISO standards currently used in the
Printer MIB, but permits more suffixes for 'dialects').

RFC 2130 does NOT deprecate the fact that HTTP uses ISO 8859-1
(Latin-1) as its default character set. It simply says all
new protocols (and their is NO exception made of MIB interfaces
here) shall be explicit about their default character set
and language for text strings and MAY support alternate
character set and language choices.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)