PMP Mail Archive: PMP> Re: [concern about different 8-bit sets in read-only objects]

PMP> Re: [concern about different 8-bit sets in read-only objects]

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:56:30 PDT

Lloyd,

I think that my SYNTHESIS proposal (sent last night)
fixes the real problem that you discuss here. Rather than putting my
proposal asside, I suggest that we implement the SYNTHESIS proposal for
objects of syntax OCTET STRING so that it is clear what the code set is
that is in use. Then we won't be going against our Area Director admonition
and will be following his bottom line:

But DO define the charset!

>From Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no Wed Jul 2 05:21:32 1997
>Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 23:04:32 +0200
>From: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
>To: Chris Wellens <chrisw@iwl.com>
>Cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Lloyd Young <lpyoung@lexmark.com>
>Subject: Re: Need advice on last issue
>
>It's a deep hole indeed, and you might have no choice but
>to throw yourselves headfirst into it :-)
>
>Today: Strings are US-ASCII only, mostly English.
>More desirable: Strings are UTF-8, mostly readable locally.
>Most desirable: Strings are UTF-8, inquirer can choose which
> language he prefers, and be given a reasonable answer.
>
>(If you revise the MIB in such a way as to allow any character
>set without defining how to find out which, you lose - DON'T)
>
>MLSF or something like it is necessary if you want to avoid
>rabid revisions of SNMP like carrying language preferences
>in the community string; I'm sure there are SNMPv3 people
>willing to draw a knife on you if you suggest that :-)
>
>Upshot: I think you can do OK with the middle road this round,
>but probably nothing more. But DO define the charset!
>
> Harald A

Tom

P.S.
My mailer did not contain a subject in your mail message, so I made up one.