PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET

RE: PMP> URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:47:10 PDT

At 09:58 07/23/97 PDT, Bob Pentecost wrote:
>Tom,
>
>I agreed with your first proposal because it seemed to be loosening the
specification a bit to accommodate some existing implementations as well as
allowing some flexibility for future implementations. Objections have been
raised that your proposal didn't fix all the problems that exist, so you
have created this "SYNTHESIS proposal" which looks quite similar to Ira's
proposal which was rejected.

Bob,

My proposal is only similar to Ira's proposal for the code set part.
My proposal does NOT address country or language, which is where
we found problems in Ira's proposal. By only addressing code char
sets, we don't need to divide the OCTET STRING objects up.

Please point out a problem with the SYNTHESIS proposal (which only
affects code sets). If there is one, your position (that this problem
can't be easily fixed in a short time) will gain support.

Thanks,
Tom

>As I objected to Ira's proposal, I must object to this proposal as well. I
feel that loosening the specification is one thing, but providing an
incomplete fix is another.

>We recognize that there are localization problems with the Printer MIB that
Lloyd and Chris are trying to publish. I'd rather publish with the existing
known problems than to put in a partial fix or delay for a complete fix.