PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Deadlines

RE: PMP> Deadlines

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:55:30 PDT

Hi Bob,

While you seem to be saying 'just ship it', what if (as is very possible,
under the RFC 2130 recommendations), our Area Directors decline to TAKE
a draft to Munich which does not clarify the code set(s) of all of the
several dozen human-readable strings, except the 'xxxDescription' ones
and the two under 'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' control?

The issues have been here to be examined for the last two years (that
vendors have been shipping product). One real sharp technical writer
at ANY of the vendors could have pointed out / realized that the
'ASCII' with no reference and no constraints in RFC 1759 was at
variance with the actual implementations.

Tom has done an excellent job of bringing far more rigor to this
discussion, but the issues have been there since mid-April, when
I brought up much of what has flashed around in the 'mail storm'
this week.

At some point, you'll have to let your JetAdmin and other UI experts
decide how to bring future HP products into line with EITHER the
old RFC 1759 text OR any resolution we work out for the next
Printer MIB version, anyway. Why not apply them to the task
in a timely fashion? (Xerox and FujiXerox engineers have been
very actively engaged with this issue for the last three months
- the excellent summaries that Tom has put forward were based
on input from dozens of these people)

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
High North Inc
PO Box 221
Grand Marais, MI 49839
906-494-2434