PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Re: URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow superset of ASCII

Re: PMP> Re: URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET STRING to allow superset of ASCII

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 08:07:18 PDT

Hi Harald,

Sorry to tell you that the group did NOT reach concensus on Tom's last
SYNTHESIS proposal. There is no new object for the character set
and the existing 'prtGeneralCurrentLocaliztion' does NOT control
the charset for the several dozen strings still marked OCTET
STRING. The latest text does include Tom's suggested text based
around charsets which are supersets of US-ASCII (like Unicode
in UTF-8 encoding) for all of the OCTET STRINGs, but the charset
is unknown (note that this permits the existing HP PC8 and Lexmark
PC 850 implementations of RFC 1759 to be compliant with the
Printer MIB v2).

Best Regards,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
High North Inc
PO Box 221
Grand Marais, MI 49839
906-494-2434