PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> hrMIB Extensions and Top25 Corrections

Re: PMP> hrMIB Extensions and Top25 Corrections

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 17:05:09 -0400

Lloyd,

Harry has raised some very good points and is now proposing some
very solid--and simple--changes to the new Printer MIB.

The short response from our corner is that we agree with Harry's
proposal 100%. The *long* response is probably more than anyone
wants to read on the mailing list right now. However, I'd like
to make these quick points:

1. It's high time we nailed the HR MIB-related questions once
and for all. Harry has been tastefully persistent in repeatedly
attempting to get the PMP to understand the gravity of the
problem and to get resolution. The PMP has always pushed the
situation to the side, saying something to the effect of
"Let's wait to hear from the IETF, etc..." We should NOT wait
any longer, particularly given the standards track problems
we're experiencing with other PWG standards efforts.

2. From a technical implementation viewpoint, making the changes
Harry is proposing should be seen by all developers as being
VERY, VERY SIMPLE to implement in a rapid fashion. The real
question is something like:

"How many implementations have already gone to market
that are based on Printer MIB II, but use the old HR MIB
cookie values as defined in the Top25 Condition list?"

While as an IETF working group we're not supposed to ask such
questions, the ever-pragmatic lot that represents the great bulk
of the PWG know better... We need to ask this question.

It would be nice to handle the final resolution of the HR MIB issues
and Harry's proposal over the mailing list, however I believe we
don't have the bandwidth to do it justice. At least not in the
remaining time we have to get the standard "done".

Unfortunately, there is no time slot currently allotted to the PMP
group at the Boulder meetings next week. Since I firmly believe
this topic needs serious face-to-face discussion time, I would like
to propose that the Thursday afternoon slot given to the SENSE
project be shortened to 2 hours, in which the PMP group would be
given the 2-hour slot right after lunch.

Perhaps the Boulder meetings can be the LAST TIME we have to address
the issues surrounding the integration of the HR MIB with the Printer
MIB.

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --