PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Error Status Reporting - Does it need to be fixed?

RE: PMP> Error Status Reporting - Does it need to be fixed?

Bob Pentecost (bpenteco@boi.hp.com)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:23:14 -0700

I would not say that the current error-status reporting mechanism is =
broken in the Printer MIB, but I would have to agree that it is =
deficient. We have written our management application to use the RFC1759 =
methods, but I'm sure it could be improved if the objects were improved. =

I'm not really keen to reopen the Printer MIB since we have already put =
aside some proposals in order to achieve closure. I would be satisfied =
to see the current draft be a Proposed Standard and then if work is to =
continue, let's open it up for improvements in status and error =
reporting, as well as localization and other issues. Harry's proposal is =
a good starting point but I'd need to do some checking with our =
developers to make sure everything is covered.

Bob Pentecost
HP=20

P.S. For the record, if I had known there would be Printer MIB issues on =
the agenda, I would have made the trip to Boulder.