PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Last call Printer MIB comment: simple localization

Re: PMP> Last call Printer MIB comment: simple localization

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:55:41 PST

At 16:32 04/01/1998 PST, Harry Lewis wrote:
>Not that I don't support good efforts to ease internationalisation... but
this
>topic was debated in heaps and resolved in the Printer MIB and the fact that
>this is not a "v3" discussion is painful demonstration of the lack of
attention
>by the IETF to the Printer MIB. If the MIB is so unimportant that it can
>languish so long... I don't see how or why it would be so urgent to enforce
>some new rule.

I know that we are all tired of the localization discussion for the
Printer MIB. But please take a look at our proposal, because it is
much SIMPLER than last Spring's proposal. It add no new objects or
textual conventions. It also documents the localization of other
objects that many implemntations have done, even though RFC 1759 didn't
allow, but leaves such additional localization all optional.

So the only new requirement is to support at least the UTF-8 char set
(like IPP). But UTF-8 has US-ASCII in code positions 0 to 127 decimal.
So if your product only supports English, you have no extra
work, except to add a row to the localization table to indicate the char set
is UTF-8. (You probably don't want to remove the row that says
US-English and US-ASCII, so that existing management applications will
still find US-English and US-ASCII row).

Finally, the reason for considering this proposal is that the Printer
MIB might get held up for another year applying for a waiver from the
new Policy on Character Sets and Languages of the IETF approved in
January, if we don't make a change to follow the policy.

Tom