PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Re: Syntax Change

Re: PMP> Re: Syntax Change

Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:28:39 -0500

Bobby, we appreciate your efforts as editor. We just need to determine
the effect of the change. Leaving the syntax as it was may be the safes=
path - that way we know nothing is broke. If I understand the definitio=
n...

(3) When encoding an object whose syntax is described using the BIT=
construct, the value is encoded as an OCTET STRING, in which al=
the named bits in (the definition of) the bitstring, commencing=

with the first bit and proceeding to the last bit, are placed i=
bits 8 to 1 of the first octet, followed by bits 8 to 1 of each=

subsequent octet in turn, followed by as many bits as are neede=
d of
the final subsequent octet, commencing with bit 8. Remaining b=
its,
if any, of the final octet are set to zero on generation and
ignored on receipt.

it is really an OCTET STRING, anyway... just given a different name whi=
ch
tries to better reflect it's usage. I notice the definition (above)
references bits 8 to 1 and the usage in the Printer MIB states bits 0-7=
.

Condition Bit #

lowPaper 0
noPaper 1
lowToner 2
noToner 3
doorOpen 4
jammed 5
offline 6
serviceRequested 7

I also notice, on page 22 of the latest printer MIB, it states the
errors are encoded as Bits while (above) it states they are
encoded as an OCTET STRING.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems
harryl@us.ibm.com

pmp-owner@pwg.org on 11/17/98 11:49:40 AM