PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> prtAlertIndex as defined in draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-04.txt

Re: PMP> prtAlertIndex as defined in draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-04.txt

Mike Thatcher (mike@peer.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 12:09:25 -0700

Ira McDonald wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I agree that the current I-D breaks SMI, strictly speaking, BUT
> any future I-D MUST be backward compatible with RFC 1759
> 'over-the-wire'. Removing the (redundant) index object from
> the trap binding is NOT backward compatible. It's note
> the IETF's SMI rules that are paramount here. It's the
> PWG's commitment to backward compatible extensions to
> RFC 1759 only in Printer MIB v2.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira McDonald

And now you are making things more difficult for compiler writers
because the mib should not compile.

Mike