PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Re: Long-standing HR MIB recommendations from Printer MIB

Re: PMP> Re: Long-standing HR MIB recommendations from Printer MIB

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:56:57 -0500

Harry,

I might suggest (once again) that we use the technique whereby
only serious objections are sought. Lacking serious objections,
your proposed wording (with Ron Bergman's enhancements) would be
incorporated in the standard.

Regarding yet another delay in "finalizing" the Printer or HR MIB,
does it really matter? Vendors have been shipping code against
pre-released MIB standards for over 5 years now, so another holdup
at this stage is unlikely to make any waves in the actual marketplace,
IMHO.

I tend to prefer the "get it right" approach when it comes to these
ever-important status bit settings. If the good ones are in the
most recent draft of the spec, then vendors are likely to implement
it accordingly (right???), whether or not the spec is "finalized"
on the standards track.

Harry, I know I'm not alone in being thankful for your tenacious
position on these dratted HR MIB status bit definitions. Thanks
for keeping us on course. ;-)

...jay