PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Draft MIB comments [let's extend

RE: PMP> Draft MIB comments [let's extend as requested]

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 14:47:15 EST

    Hi Tom, Jerry, Ron, and others,

    I'm all wet here!

    Ron and I just spoke. Without actual overlap with
    Printer MIB v2 (which often does not define a keyword
    for the service URL for protocol types), we could rename
    'ppmPortLprQueueName' to 'ppmPortServiceNameOrURL'
    (then recommend using full URL, when available, for
    example the 'lpr:' URL scheme registered four years
    ago with IANA supports queue name already). This
    would align better with the LDAP Printer Schema (RFC
    3712) and SLP Printer Schema (source of 'lpr:' scheme).

    Then we could add a new general-purpose boolean named
    'ppmPortAlternateSourcePortsEnabled' (default to 'false')
    that handles LPR, FTP, SMTP, and many other protocols
    that normally restrict the source port range.

    Sorry for my earlier unwise comments.

    And darn it - I just labelled this document 'Stable'.
    Oops.

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434