PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Posted Last Call draft of Port Mo

RE: PMP> Posted Last Call draft of Port Mon MIB (10 March 2005)

From: Wijnen, Bert (Bert) (bwijnen@lucent.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 05:09:41 EST

    The CommunityString (in SNMPv1 and v2c) is intended as a (albeit)
    weak secret, and not to be a human-consumable string. Such
    has been the case since the origins of SNMP, and it has ALWAYS been
    an OCTET STRING. So any agent (and manager) is supposed to be
    able to handle any octet value (also those that are NOT in the
    NVT ASCII set). ANd by using a DisplayString in your MIB module,
    you seem to be telling compliant implementations that they
    would not be compliant with your MIB module.

    Does this help?

    In general, I do not think that using community strings is wise at
    all in this world. But ymmv.

    Bert