PMP Mail Archive: RE: PMP> Comments on Printer Port Monitor

RE: PMP> Comments on Printer Port Monitor MIB 1.0 working draft d ated March 21, 2005

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 14:13:38 EST

    There are enough differing viewpoints that a conference call may be in
    order to help sort this topic and clear up some of the misunderstandings.
    If a core group can agree on a time I will distribute the dial-in
    information.
    This doesn't necessarily have to be a repeating time slot. I'd like to get
    this ironed out before Tokyo.
    I will start out suggesting Thursday 3/31 10AM PST, 1PM EST (directly
    following the PWG Steering Committee call). Please indicate the
    possibility of your attending or suggest a different time.
    Harry Lewis
    IBM STSM
    http://www.pwg.org
    IBM Printing Systems
    http://www.ibm.com/printers
    303-924-5337

    "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
    Sent by: pmp-owner@pwg.org
    03/28/2005 02:01 PM

    "'Ivan Pavicevic'" <ivanp@windows.microsoft.com>, "Bergman, Ron"
    <Ron.Bergman@rpsa.ricoh.com>, Dennis Carney/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS,
    pmp@pwg.org, "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
    cc

    Subject
    RE: PMP> Comments on Printer Port Monitor MIB 1.0 working draft d ated
    March 21, 2005

    Hi,

    Please - will people stop just saying 'in the MIB'. Only Ivan has
    spoken precisely enough in this thread (by always saying either
    'HR MIB' or 'Printer MIB' explicitly) to make his meaning clear.

    And since you all three (Ivan, Ron, Dennis) just quietly _disagreed_
    because of obscurity about what's a 'port' and what's 'static' in a
    configuration, let me try once more.

    [Per Ivan]
    - Status in Longhorn TcpMon comes ONLY from Host Resources MIB
    - Ports in the 'ppmPortTable' should NOT be deleted when
      the software/hardware status of a 'port' changes
      - because the Longhorn TcpMon tool will only read the
        'ppmPortTable' _once_ (to find 'hrDeviceIndex' values)
    - Configuration (but NOT status) in Longhorn TcpMon comes from
      Printer MIB
    - All 'ports' that have the same 'hrDeviceIndex' will always have
      the same displayed status in TcpMon

    Ron and Dennis - please let's not waste time on discussing how
    the Printer MIB was meant to be used. The Printer MIB isn't even
    in the logic path for 'port' status in Longhorn's TcpMon.

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434