PMP Mail Archive: PMP> Call for concensus on new Port Mon MI

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 19:06:12 EDT

    Hi,

    Discussion seems to have dried up here, without visible concensus on
    'ppmPortDescription' (free text) and 'ppmPortPrtChannelIndex' (the
    only possible way to correctly correlate 'ports' in PPM MIB with
    'channels' in Printer MIB).

    Shall I write up these two new objects from the Tokyo review?

    I'm strongly opposed to Ron's suggestion of changing the name of
    'ppmPortName' to (as proposed) 'ppmPortDescrName' and changing
    the _semantics_ from a name (an invariant, installation-time label)
    to a free-text description.

    We had a firm agreement last December to freeze the _names_ and
    _semantics_ of all existing Port Mon MIB objects in February, as
    a courtesy to the Microsoft Longhorn team and to print vendor
    implementors. Renaming and bending 'ppmPortName' breaks that
    agreement, and reduces interoperability (because implementation
    of that object would become highly vendor-specific).

    Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
    PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
    phone: +1-906-494-2434
    email: imcdonald@sharplabs.com