SDP Mail Archive: Re: SDP> SDP, IPP>PRO Proposal for TIPSI-like protocol

Re: SDP> SDP, IPP>PRO Proposal for TIPSI-like protocol

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Wed, 06 May 1998 19:43:51 -0400

Bob,

> So, I conclude that we don't need to packetize IPP or do much of what is
> proposed in Roger and Harry's paper. Instead, we can send IPP directly on
> sockets layered on top of TCP/IP or 1284.4. There are a few easy-to-solve dangling
> issues, such as chunking for document data and intermediate acknowledgement
> when attributes are verified for PrintJob. But otherwise IPP stays as is.
>
> If you disagree with my conclusions, I would like to know what the
> TIPSI-like packetizing layer provides that sockets don't also provide?

Umm...what about framing of the messages?? Or perhaps I don't
understand what you mean about what "sockets provide".

By the way, I thought we all agreed that this discussion
was to take place *exclusively* on the SDP DL. Let's not
repeatedly cross-post, ok?

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --